The things I was able to keep up with this month:
Craftsy BOM 2013 February blocks
Folk Cat block
Sue Spargo Dancing Birds BOM
I left the month of January with these three very manageable on-going projects, plus the Civil War quilt for Mike I mentioned earlier.
But I couldn't leave well enough alone.
The next three BOM projects all teach a technique I had been introduced to, but wanted more practice with.
This is the Lucky Stars BOM from the blog: http://www.dontcallmebetsy.com/p/lucky-stars-bom.html
This BOM teaches paper piecing. I'm making the 6.5" blocks and the 12.5" blocks. I've had a fat quarter bundle of Cuzco by Moda fabrics sitting on my sewing table since January waiting for just the right project, and this was it.
And even though I was sure I wanted to use these fabrics for this project, it didn't make it any easier to start pulling the fat quarters from the artfully fanned bundle... sigh...
The next BOM project I'm doing is teaching a technique called Quilt As You Go (QAYG), so after you make a block you quilt it and at the end you somehow stitch them all together.
I really didn't want to buy any more fabric in order to do this project, but was stuck on what to use for it. I got inspiration from the marked down fabric at my new local quilt shop, The Crazy Cousin, where I spied a Civil War reproduction background fabric.
Something to do with the plethora of CW fabrics in my stash!!!!
I've actually gotten the next two block made for this BOM, but she posts the quilting directions two weeks after the piecing directions, so the schedule isn't quite monthly....
I also started this fun BOM from GenX quilters: http://www.genxquilters.com/2012/12/sisters-ten-modern-bom-2013.html
I love the fabrics, and the piecing is not necessarily a new technique, but the layout at the end is very different and I'm curious how this will all play out.
Okay so not only did I make 14 extra blocks that I had not planned on doing, I also COMPLETED two more quilts. This first was a wall hanging that I had made years ago from a kit I purchased from http://www.connectingthreads.com/Quilting.cfm
I had completed the top and had it all basted waiting for me to machine quilt it, and I just wasn't ready to take that plunge until now. So this month I quilted and bound it and it is sitting in my office waiting for me to change my decor from winter to spring.
The last thing I'm going to show you is a crib sized quilt I made for my new grand-niece (great-niece?) who I'm expecting to be born before I go to bed tonight! I wanted to make an 'I Spy' quilt for her from the many fabrics I had already in my stash. So I just started cutting out 3 1/2" blocks and then started sewing them together:
I was able to complete this in a little over two days. When I put it in the chair to take a pic of it, Polly was sure I had made it for her and promptly posed for it!
One cool thing I did for the first time ever was to add this piping to the binding. I LOVE the effect and hope to make my bindings AND my borders more interesting from now on. I sent the quilt off and just this week got great feedback from the Paquettes up north that they love it! Now I just need to wait for baby pics!
My last comment for this post is an invitation for you to check out any of these blocks on my Flickr page. Because these classes are taught online, the people taking the class can't see what everyone else in the class is doing, so the instructors encouraged everyone to post their blocks on Flickr. So if you are interested in seeing any of these blocks in more detail, check out my Flickr page here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ppaq614/